Elementary art students have the opportunity to use a wide variety of tools and media as they create. The elementary school art room allows for free exploration and creative expression, as well as instruction in art concepts, terms, and techniques. Students are introduced to the many styles, cultures, and historical periods through the various masterpieces that are studied. This combination of experiences and instruction provides students in kindergarten through 5th grade the foundation needed for the MCS middle school art curriculum. An emphasis on using our talents to glorify God remains consistent throughout the program.
- Artist of the Week - Each week, one student artist is selected and highlighted as the Artist of the Week. The Artist of the Week has their artwork on display outside of the elementary art room and are announced on our school's social media channels reaching the MCS community.
- Fine Arts Night | Showcase - Fine Arts Night is a special evening set aside to showcase every art student with as least one piece of their artwork. Kindergarten to 4th grade students are a part of these art displays, but are not part of an overall art contest.
- Fine Arts Night | Art Contest - Students in the 5th and 6th grade participate in the Fine Arts Night art contest. Guests attending the Fine Arts Night vote on submitted pieces and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place award is given to students in each grade. The winners of the art show will have their artwork displayed for the school community to enjoy.
- Additional Activities - Additional activities vary from year to year, but may include an art scavenger hunt and/or letters to student artists.
MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL
The MCS Art Program offers Foundations of Art, Mixed Media, Graphic Design, and Independent Study for senior high school students. Middle school art students are offered a variety of projects that focus on the elements and principles of design. Students are encouraged to develop creative aptitudes and their God-given talents through this coursework.
The annual MCS Art Shows take place in May during the Fine Arts Nights. You will certainly want to check them out!
Independent Study students have the opportunity to enter scholarship contests throughout the year.Art Activities:
- Artist of the Week - Each week, one student is highlighted in the glass display case. The student's name is announced on the intercom throughout the week and their artwork is posted on social media.
- Fine Arts Night | Showcase - The 5th-8th grade show encourages family and guests to vote on the artwork. The 9th-12th grade show includes family and guest voting, as well as art professionals participating in the selection process. The winners of the art shows will have their work displayed for our school community to enjoy. See the 2022 winners.